Black Mission Fig Jam



Ingredients:
2 1/2 lb Black Mission Figs, quartered & stems removed
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 loving cup bottled lemon juice*
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon bergamot extract

Directions:
Prep jars/lids. Heat the carbohydrate together with H2O inwards a saucepan until the carbohydrate is dissolved. Add the lemon juice together with figs. Bring to a simmer together with permit it laid upward for a hour, stirring occasionally together with mashing upward whatever big bits. Add the halfway betoken add together the extract. Ladle into jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal. Process inwards a hot H2O bathroom for 10 minutes.

Yield: close iv 8-oz jars

Note: Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 peachy root for canning data is the Blue Book conduct to preserving. I highly recommend it for learning how to can. Here is a bunch of other canning books together with equipment I abide by useful.



*I used bottled lemon juice instead of fresh because figs are a depression acid fruit together with I wanted to brand certain that the acid content was high plenty to safely role the hot H2O method. The acidity of fresh lemons tin flaming vary but the acidity of bottled lemon juice is constant.

My thoughts:
I am genuinely into figs this year. We planted 2 fig trees this twelvemonth together with piece I don't expression besides much of a harvest from them correct away, I've been practicing making things amongst figs lately. I've noticed that Black Mission figs are the most mutual diverseness flora inwards grocery stores roughly here. I genuinely made 2 unlike types of fig jam using 2 unlike varieties but since Black Mission volition in all probability locomote the easiest to find, I idea I'd portion this recipe first.

I'm excited close this jam because it was the start ane I made without using commercial pectin. I had noticed that the Black Mission figs thickened good when heated piece making a unlike recipe together with then instead of adding pectin, I simply kept cooking the fruit until it turned jammy. It took less fourth dimension than I idea together with honestly didn't postulate besides much hands on fourth dimension which I appreciated. I added bergamot extract (if you lot are unfamiliar amongst bergamot, it is a dominant season inwards Earl Grey tea) which added a slightly bitter citrus Federal Reserve annotation that tempered the figs sweetness. Orange or lemon extract could locomote substituted for the bergamot if necessary but honestly, it is bergamot extract is good worth seeking out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saucisses De Toulouse Aux Lentilles Du Puy Et Courge

Indian Tacos

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake