How To: Ham Stock



Ingredients:

the basics:
mutual frigidity water
1 large ham hock or the os leftover from a roasted ham
three carrots, cutting up
ii onions, quartered
1 large shallot, quartered
1 bunch celery, cutting up
1 caput garlic
ii tablespoons dark peppercorns
1 tablespoon whole allspice
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon mace blades
1/2 stick cinnamon

Directions:
Place the ham, spices too the vegetables inwards a large stockpot (I purpose my lobster pot). Add H2O until the pot is nearly filled. Bring to a rolling boil. After 4-5 hours, strain into a large bowl or smaller stockpot. Cool right away yesteryear placing the bowl inwards an H2O ice filled sink. Do non refrigerate hot stock. Refrigerate the cooled stock overnight, hence skim off whatever fatty that rose to the surface. Package inwards air tight containers or freezer bags to store. I similar a mixture of ii too iv loving cup quantities.


I propose freezing whatever stock you lot don't purpose correct away. In using freezer bags, lay the bags apartment hence they freeze inwards a variety that takes upward the to the lowest degree sum of room. To defrost exactly take the block of stock from the container too house it inwards a sauce pan. Heat on depression for 3-5 minutes.

Yield: most viii quarts


My thoughts:
I beloved making my ain stocks. Not entirely are they to a greater extent than flavorful than shop bought, they are incredibly inexpensive to brand too I experience expert most making something from something that I unremarkably would thrown away. I ever hesitate most posting stock recipes hither but invariably every fourth dimension I telephone telephone for a stock I run an electronic mail from somebody asking how they tin motility into themselves, peculiarly for the to a greater extent than hard to detect stocks. So later a lot of requests for a ham stock tutorial, hither it lastly is. While you lot tin a to a greater extent than neutral tasting stock similar to chicken or turkey stock, I similar to purpose the flavors frequently constitute inwards ham dishes or spice rubs for ham inwards the stock because the foods I terminate upward using the stock inwards are frequently enhanced yesteryear those flavors. Don't worry, the stock isn't besides heavy spiced, it is exactly a wonderful background note.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saucisses De Toulouse Aux Lentilles Du Puy Et Courge

Indian Tacos

Mango Marinated Grilled Boneless Pork Ribs