Hearty Autumn Greens, Hominy & Sausage Stew

Ingredients:

grouping #1
1 large onion
iii medium turnips, peeled too chopped
1 quart Lima beans, shelled (about 2 cups of peeled lima beans)
2 russet potatoes, peeled too diced
2 carrots, cutting into coins
1 teaspoon blood-red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Earth mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
body of body of water salt
freshly Earth dark pepper
2 quarts chicken stock


grouping #2
vi cups chopped turnip greens
12 oz spicy chicken bratwurst*, sliced into coins too browned
xx oz canned hominy, rinsed**


Directions:
Place all of the ingredients inwards grouping #1 inwards a 6-quart tedious cooker. Stir. Cook on depression for 6-7 hours or high for 3. Add the ingredients from grouping #2. Stir. Cover too laid on depression 2-3 to a greater extent than hours.


*I used Spicy Espresso Bratwurst past times Dogfish Head. It has chicken, espresso powder, minced habanero, cumin too Dogfish Head's Chicory Stout.
**I used Manning's hominy because, well, I'm from Baltimore. I am certain at that spot are other brands out there, though.


Note: I added sausage to the soup because I similar a fight of smoky meat amongst my turnip greens but if yous desire to become far vegetarian travel out it out too operate vegetable stock instead of chicken. Leave out the cheese every bit good too become far vegan.


My thoughts:
Sometimes later I build a recipe too I am typing it upwards I detect that it is total of ingredients that I know a lot of people are leery of. Take this recipe for example. We stopped off at a farm stand upwards on our agency dorsum from visiting the Lock Museum inwards Havre de Grace (it was a lot of fun, I recommend it) too since this is October, inwards Maryland, it was generally origin vegetables, apples, peppers, lima beans too the terminal of the tomatoes too okra. So I picked upwards some lima beans (still inwards the pod) too thence saw the largest, prettiest turnips I had always seen, nevertheless attached to their greens. Rarely receive got I seen turnips nevertheless attached to their greens thence I bought it too thence of course, was stuck making something amongst it. I decided to build a soup using both the turnips too their tops, the lima beans too a few other ingredients I had around the house. Lima beans too turnips existence ii the most oftentimes recipients of olfactory organ wrinkling too "I don't consume that!" when I've mentioned them inwards the past. It is a shame because lima beans (especially fresh, I tin receive got or travel out frozen) are creamy too tasty too concord their kind fifty-fifty when tedious cooking. Turnips receive got a bright, peppery flavour too are perfect roasted, mashed, stewed or made into a soup. Turnip greens tin live on a fight bitter but non to a greater extent than thence than state rapini. If they are extra bitter for some reason, blanching them earlier adding them to the soup (or stew!) oftentimes helps. This stew (soup?) is the perfect combination of leafy greens, hearty origin vegetables too creamy, slightly sweetness hominy. Bonus point: sprinkle some parmesan on elevation only earlier serving.



I used Spicy Espresso Bratwurst past times Dogfish Head Hearty Fall Greens, Hominy & Sausage Stew

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saucisses De Toulouse Aux Lentilles Du Puy Et Courge

Indian Tacos

Mango Marinated Grilled Boneless Pork Ribs