Mint-Infused Blueberry-Lime Jam



Ingredients:
1 bunch fresh mint
8-10 cups whole, picked over blueberries*
four 1/2 cups sugar
1 box liquid pectin (6 oz., 2 niggling packets)
juice too zest of 2 limes


Directions:
Lightly bruise the mint too materials equally much equally y'all tin plow over the axe into a tea ball. Set aside. Pour the berries into a bowl. Mash amongst a spud masher. Measure it out. It should yield nigh 6 cups of mashed berries. Add the carbohydrate too blueberries to a large pot. Prep jars/lids for canning. Bring the carbohydrate too blueberries to a boil. Add the lime juice, zest too the tea ball. Clip the tea ball to the side of the pot if possible. Boil for nigh 10-15 minutes, it should start to await a niggling thick. Add the pectin (both packets!). Continue cooking at a depression (rolling) boil for five minutes. Remove the tea ball. Fill the jars. Process inward the hot H2O bathroom for 10 minutes.

Yield: nigh 6 8-oz jars (I ended upwardly amongst half-dozen too a teeny tiny chip left over but the other batch of jam I made using the same total of berries yielded seven 8-oz jars)


*I made ii batches of jam too 1 batch alone needed 8 cups of fresh berries too the 2nd batch needed nigh 10. I mean value it depends on the size of the berries.

Note: Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 swell origin for canning data is the Blue Book withdraw to preserving. I highly recommend it for learning how to can. Here is a bunch of other canning books too equipment I notice useful.



My thoughts:
Jam! This was my commencement endeavour at canning jam. I've made freezer jam inward the by but never the fully cooked too jarred variety. I am happy to tell it came out really well! I read upwardly on the ratios needed for proper jam making too and hence simply form of winged it. Honestly, the hardest business office was tracking downward the liquid pectin. The jars all sealed too the jam ready into the perfect consistency. I mean value technically, y'all alone withdraw to boil it afterward the pectin is added for 1 infinitesimal but I did it for longer to test too acquire the most season out of the mint.

I beloved huckleberry too lime together too the mint adds a herbal season that doesn't scream "MINT" but which adds savoriness too depth to the jam. Matt had unopen to on a biscuit too nearly swooned. It is simply that good. Not likewise sugariness too the lime too mint operate along it from beingness your typical huckleberry jam.


Quick tip:
I seat the mint inward a tea ball because I didn't desire bits of leaves inward my jam. When it comes out of the pot the tea ball volition survive covered inward jam. I simply plopped the whole matter (closed, mint notwithstanding inside) inward a bowl of H2O too allow it sit down overnight. The adjacent day, most of the jam had dissolved too it was tardily to opened upwardly too build clean it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saucisses De Toulouse Aux Lentilles Du Puy Et Courge

Indian Tacos

Mango Marinated Grilled Boneless Pork Ribs