Home Made Creme Fraiche

Creme Fraiche is all the rage on the Food Network cooking channels, but it is ane of those ingredients that I've been too stubborn old fashioned to try, until now.

Well, my curiosity got the amend of me too creme fraiche went onto my grocery list. You tin imagine my stupor when I saw the cost of it (at to the lowest degree at our market) was $7+ per cup!!! That's only crazy.

So inward my penny pinching thrifty mindset,(and wanting to know what all the creme fraiche hubbub was about), I laid out to run into if I could MAKE it. I was shocked at how easy, inexpensive (and fun) it is to do.  Yes, it takes a span days to make, but 99.999% of that fourth dimension is only waiting for it to "cure".


2 cups of heavy whipping cream (at to the lowest degree 45% butterfat)
3 tablespoons buttermilk (OR) manifestly yogurt (see note)

That's it!!

Mix the 2 ingredients together well, too seat it into a rattling build clean drinking glass jar. Cover it loosely too allow it sit down on your kitchen counter for 24 hours (room temperature should move 70° to 75°).
It's proficient if yous hand it a quick stir later 8 hours, but that isn't absolutely necessary.

After 24 hours, it volition withal appear a piddling thin, but that's OK. Put a lid on the jounce too seat it inward the refrigerator for some other 24 hours. After 24 hours inward the fridge, it volition thicken upwardly too move gear upwardly to purpose inward whatever recipe that yous would commonly purpose sour cream for.

 
The flavour volition move rattling mild at this stage, but it volition instruct tangier the longer it sits inward the refrigerator (keeps close vii to 10 days).

People tell it is the "mild cousin" to America's commercial sour cream, but I intend it is much tastier than that. Of course, the flavour of your creme fraiche volition depend on the "flavor" (quality) of whipping cream, and brand (quality) of buttermilk.

Creme fraiche is excellent for baking sweet AND savory dishes. It is much more tolerant to heat (than commercial sour cream), so it works well in gravy or sauces too makes killer mashed potatoes!! Sweetened, it is dainty over whatever dessert, particularly fresh fruit. Can yous tell that I am a recent convert??


NOTE: Many of the recipes for creme fraiche (that are online) insist on using UN-pasteurized cream, but I couldn't honor it, then I only used regular pasteurized heavy whipping cream too it worked fine.

NOTE: The buttermilk or yogurt that yous purpose HAS to cause got alive cultures inward it. The buttermilk at our marketplace was depression fatty too didn't get upwardly "live cultures", then I opted for the same amount of organic unflavored yogurt amongst alive cultures too it worked rattling well.

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saucisses De Toulouse Aux Lentilles Du Puy Et Courge

Indian Tacos

Mango Marinated Grilled Boneless Pork Ribs