Mirabelle Plum Jam


Ingredients:
three 1/4 cups crushed (with a tater masher)pitted mirabelle plums (about 2 lbs)
three tablespoons powdered pectin
2 cups sugar

Ingredients:

Prep jars/lids for canning. Place the plums into a large, heavy bottomed pan. Add the sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring until it begins to cut down in addition to thicken. Stir inwards the pectin. Continue cooking at a depression (rolling) boil for 2-3 minutes or until it looks thick in addition to jammy. Fill the jars leaving 1/4 inch headroom. Process inwards the hot H2O bathroom for 10 minutes.


Yield: well-nigh four 8-oz jars.

Note: Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 slap-up rootage for canning data is the Blue Book conduct to preserving. I highly recommend it for learning how to can. Here is a bunch of other canning books in addition to equipment I abide by useful.


My thoughts:
When Matt came habitation from our local farm store proverb he had bought some mysterious trivial xanthous plums nosotros were both intrigued. They were in addition to hence sweetness in addition to juicy in addition to dissimilar whatsoever plum nosotros had seen inwards the stores or farmers marketplace before. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 trivial sleuthing revealed that they were mirabelle plums. While they tin hold upwards grown here, at that spot are some what rare in addition to generally grown in addition to eaten inwards France. Apparently inwards the Lorraine part of French Republic they are made into ii things: jam in addition to eau-de-vie, a type of fruit brandy. Since I am non laid to build my ain brandy, I idea I'd build jam. I looked for jam recipes online exactly 95% were inwards French in addition to used the to a greater extent than "casual" European approach to jam making. I idea I'd portion what I did to build this French jam inwards the American, FDA-approved, to a greater extent than sterilized way. Now I know these plums tin hold upwards tricky to abide by exactly they are worth seeking out. They are perhaps, the best plums I've eaten in addition to the jam is unparalleled. I intend your best bet for finding them (if y'all don't convey a tree yourself) is a farm store, pick-your-own farm, gourmet grocer or farmers market. Good luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saucisses De Toulouse Aux Lentilles Du Puy Et Courge

Indian Tacos

Mango Marinated Grilled Boneless Pork Ribs