Strawberry-Rhubarb Mint Ginger Jam




Ingredients:
seven cups finely diced strawberries (about three quarts)
three cups diced rhubarb
1/3 loving cup minced crystallized ginger*
1 bunch fresh mint
four 1/2-5 cups saccharide (depends on how sugariness your berries are)
1 box liquid pectin (6 oz., 2 petty packets)


Directions:

Prep jars/lids for canning. Lightly bruise the mint in addition to materials every bit much every bit you lot tin into a tea ball. Set aside. Add the sugar, tea ball, strawberries, ginger bits in addition to rhubarb to a large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil. Smash whatever large chunks. For a smoother jam, take the tea ball in addition to pulse amongst a immersion blender. Cook until the jam looks thick, nigh xx minutes. Add the pectin (both packets!). Continue cooking at a depression (rolling) boil for five minutes. Remove the tea ball if you lot haven't already. Fill the jars. Process inward a hot H2O bathroom for 10 minutes.





Yield: I ended upwards amongst 8 8-oz jars in addition to 1 4-oz jar

*I truly used The Ginger People's Crystallized Ginger Chips, which are tiny bits of "baby" ginger rolled inward cane sugar.

Note: H5N1 slap-up rootage for canning data is the Blue Book conduct to preserving. I highly recommend it for learning how to can. Here is a bunch of other canning books in addition to equipment I uncovering useful.

My thoughts:
Strawberry in addition to rhubarb are an almost platitude combination. Possibly because rhubarb's tartness tempers strawberry's sweetness but it could only last that they are available for the same curt season. Honestly, I effort to avoid pairing the 2 because I similar rhubarb only on its ain but when faced amongst some strawberries that fifty-fifty though only bought today from the farmers marketplace had to last eaten today or nosotros would last the proud owners of a bowl of moldy strawberry slime instead of berries. It is pretty like shooting fish in a barrel inward the flavor for them in addition to they were on the pocket-size in addition to tarter side but even then real tasty. We every bit good picked upwards what I fearfulness may last the final of the rhubarb* then I idea why non claw the 2 up. I didn't desire it to last wearisome though then I tossed inward some mint from our garden in addition to some of the ginger chips my hubby flora for me. The result? Anything but ordinary! It is sweet, tart, spicy in addition to herbly minty all at the same time. I powerfulness convey to horde these jars for myself.




*I did freeze nigh 2 1/2 lbs of it this year. Planning ahead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saucisses De Toulouse Aux Lentilles Du Puy Et Courge

Indian Tacos

Mango Marinated Grilled Boneless Pork Ribs